And so it begins…

For as long as I can remember, I have always been one to set goals for myself. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t always achieve them (that might actually be a good thing considering one of my goals a few years ago was to enter the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest). That said, one goal that has lingered is running a marathon before my 30th birthday.

Every year I’ve said “this is the year.” Of course, the thought of playing tennis on a warm summer evening or simply sitting on my couch after a hectic day at work, has always been far more appealing than letting my inner Forest Gump come out and play. Oh by the way, did I mention I hate running as much as I despise all Philadelphia sports teams?

Which brings me to why I started this blog. Call it motivation, accountability or maybe even stupidity. Regardless, I plan on using this forum to share my journey toward partaking in this year’s Hartford Marathon. Along the way, I’m sure there will be bumps, bruises, and perhaps a few tears.  But at the same token, I’m excited about the thought of reaching this goal, hearing from many of you and exchanging stories.

I have some time to decide on whether I’ll attempt a full or half-marathon (after all, I still need to complete a 5K first!), but either way, I know where I’ll be on Oct. 15. And so it begins… Are you ready?

Advertisements

8 Comments Add yours

1. Nick says:

Ray you’re nuts! But good luck!

1. Ray says:

LOL, thanks Nick, I appreciate it!

2. Silvia says:

Ray – Goals are great things – they keep you motivated on this ride we call life. It is awesome that you’re documenting your journey. There is no greater motivator than seeing your progress over time.

1. Ray says:

Very true, Silvia. Ask me again in six months about this goal, and I might have different answer 😛

3. Caitlin says:

Yay Ray!! This is an awesome goal, let me know if you ever need a running buddy! I’m doing the marathon in October, I can drag you along with me 🙂

1. Ray says:

Thanks, Caitlin! — I’ll def. be taking you up on that offer over the next few months 🙂

4. harpersfarm says:

RUN!!! I, too, and shooting for a marathon, but I am planning one for next summer. Good luck on your journey!

1. Ray says:

Thanks! — I’m looking forward to it. This should be interesting!